Design work requires great attention to detail. Choosing the best monitor for designers can make or break your project. There are dozens of brands and options available. Figuring out what you need to do your best work can seem a bit daunting.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are approximately 201,440 graphic designers in the United States. Many also work in web design, video production and other niches. One way you can outshine the competition is by investing in top-of-the-line equipment that helps you do your job better and more efficiently.
How can you figure out what is the best monitor for designers? For example, the work you do is going to be different from someone using a monitor for gaming or casual online shopping. Your best bet is to think through the features you want. Make sure you know what makes an excellent option for design work. Also, read through online reviews for each model.
What Should You Look for in the Best Monitor for Designers?
Reports show most graphic designers average $45 per hour, but you can make more if you work more efficiently because you have stellar equipment and software. Acquiring the perfect setup means you can work faster and make more money by serving more clients or at least work fewer hours for the same pay. Here are some of the traits in the best monitor for designs and how you can ensure you get the things you need.
- Color accuracy
- High resolution with a minimum of 4K
- I/O connections
- Size – you want a screen large enough to work with detail but small enough to allow for multiple monitors in your office
- Panels – IPS panels are ideal for designers and give you excellent viewing angles and color accuracy.
We spent some time looking at different models and came up with a list of best monitors for designers. Here are our top favorites:
1. LG Ultrafine 5K 27-Inch
LG’s Ultrafine monitor provides brilliant color and high definition output. Some of the features of this best monitor for designers include:
- 27-inch screen
- 16:9 aspect ratio
- 5,120 by 2,880 resolution
- 500 cd/m2 brightness
- 14 millisecond response time
- 178/178 viewing angle
- 1.07 billion colors
- 60 Hz refresh rate
- In-Plane switching (IPS) technology
2. Dell Ultrasharp 27-Inch LED Backlit
Next up on our quest for the best monitor for designers is the Dell 27-Inch 4K LED Backlit monitor. Some of the features for this high-definition powerhouse include:
- Seamless switching between streaming and PC
- Screen pivots, swivels and tilts to just the right angle
- HDMI 1.4 port
- LED edgelight system
- IPS panel
- 16:9 aspect ratio
- 300 cd/m brightness
- 1000:1 contrast ratio
- 16.7 million colors
- Anti glare coating
3. BenQ 34-Inch HD
Known for their career-specific monitors, BenQ offers a wide range of styles made for the needs of designers. We love their 34-inch HDR Mac-Ready option. Additionally, you might want to check out their screens specifically made for video developers and photographers. The 34-inch HD screen features:
- VESA Display HDR 400
- 21:9 ultrawide screen
- AQColor technology
- Flat panel for precise, unskewed images
- Factory-calibrated color precision
4. ASUS ProArt 23.8-Inch Monitor
Are you looking for smaller monitors so you can line up multiple screens without sacrificing space? The ASUS ProArt comes in various sizes, but the 23.8-inch is perfect for a multiple screen solution. You’ll gain:
- 1,920 by 1,080 LED backlight display
- IPS panel with 178-degree wide viewing angle
- 100% sRGB color
- Connectivity with HDMI, USB and USB-C
- 75 Hz refresh rate
- Easy daisy chaining with other monitors
- Tilt, swivel and pivot
5. Acer Predator Gaming Monitor
All gaming monitors aren’t the best monitor for designers, this one does the job and gives you an added bonus of working well for video editing. The 38-inch screen gives you a cinematic feel to the design process. Features include:
- Curved display for realistic immersion
- 37.5-inch screen
- 3,840 by 1,600 HD resolution
- IPS technology with a 0.3 millisecond response time
- 98% DCI-P3 color gamut
- Seamless video viewing
6. Samsung 32-Inch Professional Monitor
Samsung’s professional monitor is a beautiful high-definition display available in three sizes. Some of the benefits of this monitor for designers are:
- QHD with 1.7 times the pixel density of HD
- One billion colors
- TUV certified intelligent eye care to reduce glare and eye strain
- Tilt, swivl and pivot for the perfect angle
- AMD FreeSync to keep monitor and graphics card in sync for movies and games
- 3840 by 2160 resolution
- 5 millisecond response time
- 16:9 aspect ratio
Choose the Best Monitor for Your Designer Business
Finding the best monitor for designers is almost impossible. The needs of each professional vary based on projects and work style. The six above are an excellent choice for beginners. You can always add to your monitor lineup as your needs change. You can also use multiple options for the best workspace layout possible.
As an Amazon Associate, Designerly may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
About The Author
Eleanor Hecks is the Editor-in-Chief of Designerly Magazine, an online publication dedicated to providing in-depth content from the design and marketing industries. When she's not designing or writing code, you can find her re-reading the Harry Potter series, burning calories at a local Zumba class, or hanging out with her dogs, Bear and Lucy.
Leave a Comment