If you’re thinking of pursuing a career in graphic design in Arkansas, you’re probably wondering how much they make in this state. After all, the state you reside in can be a contributing factor to the salary you’ll be making.
Still, it’s not only about the salary — you’ll have to consider other factors, like the cost of living, taxes and more.
Below we’ll dive into all these things so you can decide if moving to Arkansas is a good idea or if staying where you are is right for you.
What Is the Average Graphic Designer Salary in Arkansas?
According to Zippia’s data, the average graphic designer’s salary in Arkansas is $38,596 annually. If you work this out into an hourly rate, you’ll see that it amounts to $18.56. This salary information includes all graphic designers, from freelancers to those who’ve worked for the same company for years.
What Is It Like to Live in Arkansas?
While salary information is a great way to make a career-path decision, where you live can also affect your determination. Therefore, you may wonder what life is like in Arkansas.
The Natural State is located in the south-central part of the United States. It’s known for its beauty and is home to one of the most famous National Parks — Hot Springs National Park.
If you’re thinking about making a living as a graphic designer in Arkansas, here are some things to consider:
- The economy is largely agricultural, so many jobs are available in that sector.
- The cost of living is low, which makes it easier for people to afford your services as a graphic designer.
- There are several colleges and universities with graphic design programs in Arkansas, so getting started in graphic design is easy.
- The weather is mild most months of the year, with cooler temperatures in the winter months and hot and humid days in late summer.
- Many cultural events are happening throughout the year, like music festivals.
- Because Arkansas has several national parks, this state offers much for outdoor recreation and nature enthusiasts.
As a graphic designer in Arkansas, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to create beautiful things relevant to your client’s needs while enjoying life in one of America’s most beautiful states.
How Does This Salary Compare to the US?
When looking at the average salary for graphic designers in Arkansas, you may have noticed that it is on the lower end of the spectrum when compared to the nation’s average. In fact, the average salary is 20% below the national average and ranks 42 out of 50 for graphic designers in the US.
While this is much lower than expected, you can still make a good living as a graphic designer in Arkansas. Though, you may still need to work more hours to make up for the things you want to have in life.
There are several reasons for this discrepancy. For one thing, the cost of living is low. There are also far fewer graphic design jobs available in Arkansas than in other states. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Arkansas has 1,150 employed graphic designers — much lower than in other states.
This means there are fewer opportunities for graphic designers to make money and therefore have to work at a lower rate.
What Factors Affect a Graphic Designer’s Salary?
Numerous factors affect a graphic designer’s salary, and knowing what those are is important before you start looking for a new job. Here are some things you should consider:
- Experience Level: The more experience you have working as a graphic designer, the more money you can make. This is because employers tend to pay more for people already familiar with the industry and its standards. The best way to get experience is to intern in school or after graduation.
- Location: Where you live can also affect how much money you make as a graphic designer. For example, if you live in New York City or Los Angeles, your salary will likely be higher than if you lived somewhere like Chicago or Cleveland. That’s because living costs are higher in those cities than in others, so employers need to offer higher salaries for workers to afford to live.
- Industry Type: The industry that employs graphic designers can also make a difference when it comes time for paychecks at work — especially if they’re small businesses instead of large corporations.
Consider how the salary pans out in Arkansas with these factors in mind in the information below.
The Highest-paying Cities to Work as a Graphic Designer in Arkansas
To better understand how well graphic designers are paid in Arkansas, we’ll look at the top 10 cities that offer the highest salary.
- Paragould, AR — $38,790
- Jonesboro, AR — $38,741
- West Memphis, AR — $38,705
- Cabot, AR — $38,580
- Jacksonville, AR — $38,575
- Sherwood, AR — $38,572
- Pine Bluff, AR — $38,572
- Conway, AR — $38, 570
- North Little Rock, AR — $38,569
- Bella Vista, AR — $38,569
A Graphic Designer Salary in Arkansas by Experience Level
Graphic designers with more experience tend to earn more than those with less experience, which is true across the board. If you’re curious about what those salaries look like in Arkansas, consider CareerExplorer’s data below:
- Top-level graphic designers: $73,260
- Senior-level graphic designers: $57,450
- Mid-level graphic designers: $39,440
- Junior-level graphic designers: $32,130
- Entry-level graphic designers: $29,980
A Graphic Designer Salary in Arkansas by Industry
While graphic design can be lucrative, the salary can vary by industry. Consider the data below to understand which industries offer the highest earning potential for graphic designers:
- Technology: $59,067
- Manufacturing: $54,488
- Finance: $54,139
- Professional: $52, 691
- Media: $52,206
- Education: $51,763
- Retail: $50,927
What Are the Most Popular Employers of Graphic Designers in Arkansas?
When working as a graphic designer in Arkansas, it’s important to consider the career opportunities available in your area. The graphic design industry is competitive in Arkansas. Since there are not as many jobs available as in other states, it’s essential to consider this information to find a job that suits your interests and skill set.
The following list is based on information from Glassdoor and includes some of the most popular employers of graphic designers in Arkansas:
- Onyx Brands: $42,925
- Arcbest: $47,440
- Apptegy: $49,762
- Icreatives: $44,535
- J.B. Hunt Transport: $45,640
- The RoArk Group: $41,600
- University of Arkansas: $41,600
- Garver: $43,026
- Electric Ghost Screen Printing: $41,600
- University of Central Arkansas: $40,348
Is Arkansas a Good Place to Work as a Graphic Designer?
While job availability and chances to make higher salaries are limited, Arkansas may not be the best place to work as a graphic designer. The good news is graphic design allows you to work from home. Even if you couldn’t find jobs available in your area, there are opportunities across other states that let you operate remotely.
Another perk about living in Arkansas is that it’s a great place to get an education in graphic design. Arkansas has some excellent universities, including the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville and the University of Central Arkansas in Conway. These schools offer quality education and can help you build your portfolio and future.
The cost of living in Arkansas is also low compared to other states. According to data, Arkansas is the 11th lowest cost of living in the US. Therefore, you’d be able to afford more than you think.
Finally, Arkansas has much to offer a graphic designer looking for an interesting and unique place to live. It’s rich in history, has great people, and is home to many of the country’s most innovative companies. If you’re looking for a place where you can impact the world around you, it’s worth considering moving to Arkansas.
Make a Living in Arkansas as a Graphic Designer
As you can see, the graphic designer’s salary in Arkansas is on the lower end, and the field is extremely competitive. If you’re interested in becoming a graphic designer, it’s important to understand what it takes to succeed in this field.
You can start by learning about the different types of graphic design careers and determining which is right for you. Then, you can join online communities where you can find more information about how to get started.
About The Author
Eleanor Hecks is the Editor-in-Chief of Designerly Magazine, an online publication dedicated to providing in-depth content from the design and marketing industries. When she's not designing or writing code, you can find her re-reading the Harry Potter series, burning calories at a local Zumba class, or hanging out with her dogs, Bear and Lucy.